Over 1,000 visitors to the public event "The Sphinx, the Nature & the Company" that took place on Sunday, June 12 in the "Sphinx" park are proof that this historically important location in Zadar's Brodarica neighbourhood deserves further systematic reflection, restoration and valorization.
Reflections on the withdrawal of European funds began in 2016, when the City of Zadar together with future partners submitted the RECOLOR project to the Interreg Italy-Croatia 2014-2020 call for proposals and defined its pilot location - the Brodarica neighborhood and the Zadar Sphinx as its most interesting component. Not only is The Sphinx of Zadar the most exotic phenomenon in Zadar, but it is also the largest sculpture of its kind in Europe, and the decision to finance the RECOLOR project from 2018, after a thorough evaluation of the project application, symbolically marked 100 years since its creation.
RECOLOR in numbers
1.1.2019 – 30.6.2022. (42 months)
PROJECT BUDGET (ALL PARTNERS)
BUDGET OF THE CITY OF ZADAR
EU COFINANCING (85%)
CITY OF ZADAR COFINANCING (15%)
Results of the project
In the 3 years of the implementation of the project, the duration of which was extended by a total of 12 months due to the new situation related to the COVID-19, numerous activities were carried out under the jurisdiction of the City of Zadar, and the complete list is provided below:
- Archaeological research / works (September 2020)
- Report on the archaeological research / works (September 2020)
- Research conservation works (September 2020)
- Conservation and restoration study of the current state with a proposal for interventions on the sphinx sculpture and other architectural elements in the park (September 2020)
- Visual identity of The Sphinx of Zadar (February 2021)
- Tourist route, thematic walk from the Peninsula to Brodarica (April 2021)
- Brochure / pocket map showing the thematic walk (April 2021)
- Geodetic survey of the park (May 2021)
- Seminar for tourist guides and a handbook (June 2021)
- Bilingual website: www.zadarskasfinga.eu (July 2021)
- Exhibition of photos by Aleksandar Bonačić 'Sphinx's memory' in the church of St. Donatus (November 2021)
- Project documentation solving the Sphinx's shell water drainage (December 2021)
- Design and technical documentation for the arrangement of the entire park (December 2021 – May 2022)
- Promotional and educational video (January 2022)
- Conservation and restoration services for the preservation of the Sphinx (April 2022)
- Designed autochthonous tourist product – 'The Sphinx' cocktail (May 2022)
- Design and purchasing of an information board in the park and a totem in the area of the peninsula where the boatmen (cro. barkajol) operate (June 2022)
- Round table "Giovanni Smirich Park - yesterday, today, tomorrow" (June 2022)
- Public event "The Sphinx, the Nature & the Company" (June 2022)
Besides the project RECOLOR, City of Zadar also submitted the remaining architectural elements in the park to the Ministry of Culture and Media of the Republic of Croatia Call for Proposals, the results of which are expected after the summer. In addition, works have been contracted to repair the surrounding wall (concrete and metal), the completion of which is planned for the end of September this year.
Excellent cooperation was also achieved with the Conservation Department in Zadar through the issuance of special conditions, advisory assistance in field research, archaeological excavations, conservation services for the preservation of the sculpture, and to the planning of future interventions at the location.
Through the implementation of the mentioned project, foundations were created for the further valorization of this locality. The City of Zadar will try to arrange the park with its own funds in stages in the following years, and the possibility of submitting the proposals to new tenders is also open, if it is applicable and acceptable within the available funds.
We hereby once again thank all the collaborators for the successful cooperation in the implementation of the RECOLOR project and we look forward to all the future promotion of this lovely Zadar park!
Photos and video from the public event "The Sphinx, the Nature & the Company" as well as the newly installed signage may be seen below.
Source: City of Zadar