Today's name of the Brodarica neighborhood developed from the medieval name Barcagno. The name reveals that this area has long been associated with maritime and related activities. It used to be home to moorings for ships, markets and places for gathering cattle before loading into large ships as well as the church of St. James - the patron saint of travelers.
Large stone moorings for ships - sea bollards - symbolize maritime heritage and represent reminder of the history of this part of the city.
Along the coast of Brodarica, there are summer mansions, houses and villas built at the end of 19th and the beginning of 20th century. They mark this part of the city with the stamp of historicist and secession style. Besides them, the area is known for the first town baths and destilleries.
The first villa on this route is a monumental Luxardo palace - once a home to the Luxardo factory, famous for producing Maraschino liqueurs. The Vlahov and Stampalia factories also operated in its vicinity, making Brodarica the centre of the production of a favorite drink from the beginning of the 20th century, which spread the word about Zadar around the world.
Last but not least, the first public transport in Zadar was by using oars and since the Middle Ages it has connected the city centre with Brodarica neighborhood. At that time, the connection between the city and Brodarica was not regular, but took place as needed, and in 1651 it was determined that the work of barkajoli, Croatian expression for the boatmen, could be performed only by authorized persons. A permanent connection was established in 1814 and this specific Zadar tradition is being maintained until this day.